Thursday, August 7, 2014

Different is Good

Different is good in all kinds of ways. My husband and I are SO different, even after 34 years together.  For instance, I came downstairs this morning at 6:15, turned on the lights, fed the critters, made coffee,  tidied the kitchen, started breakfast, opened the blinds, and Febreezed everything that didn't move. I may or may not have been humming the whole time.  I'm a lot like this in the morning:


Meanwhile, Gene ambled into the kitchen about 6:45, got a Diet Coke from the fridge, and shuffled back upstairs for a bath...in complete silence.  He's a lot like this in the morning:



Growing up, his family bought theatre tickets, mine bought National Park passes.  His family took student groups to England, mine took the Plymouth to Salt Lake City. He says 'sushi', I say 'cat food'. Let's call the whole thing off! 

Fortunately, we don't have to be alike to have a thriving relationship. Recently at church, we looked at Ephesians 4:16.

"He makes the whole body fit together perfectly. As each part does its own special work, it helps the other parts grow, so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love."
(emphasis mine)

I'm so thankful there are artists and musicians, visionaries and detail people, neat freaks and mess makers, leaders and followers, out-front people, and behind the scenes people in my family and in my church! Isn't it awesome that God equipped us to fit in families and churches, and made us to need each other to grow? Many people search for a mate, or friends, or a church full of people just like them, when what's most beneficial to us is exactly the opposite. I can't grow or be healthy like I'm supposed to without you.

What would it look like if we celebrated our differences with our mate, our kids, our church instead of bemoaning them? What if we stopped trying to mold others into our image? Ephesians 4:16 says our relationships, families, even His body the Church, would be healthy, growing and full of love. Different is very, very good!

Prayer for Today: Father, You've made us fit together, each using their own gifts and talents to help others grow.  Help me to embrace the differences in my spouse, kids, family, and church so those relationships will be healthy, growing and full of love.  Amen. 








3 comments:

Lola said...

Thanks for the encouraging words on embracing our differences and not seeing them as a hindrance.

Brittany at Equipping Godly Women said...

So good! My husband and I can be VERY different at times, and we've had a few arguments over it. But the differences really are blessings, not something "bad." It keeps things interesting--that's for sure!!

sinceibecameamom said...

I love that difference is needed in this world. Such a great reminder that it is good!