Saturday, January 1, 2011

Five Hundred Twenty-five Thousand, Six Hundred Minutes.....






"So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom." Psalms 90:12 KJV





One of my all time favorite songs is "Seasons of Love" from the Broadway musical, Rent. The lyrics of this powerful song speak to my heart as I think about the New Year before us, and about the scripture above. Teach me to number my days, that's the prayer of my heart today. Listen to these words:

Five hundred twenty-five thousand


Six hundred minutes,
Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Moments so dear.
Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes
How do you measure, measure a year?

In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights
In cups of coffee
In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife.

In five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes
How do you measure
A year in the life?

How about love?
How about love?
How about love? Measure in love

Seasons of love. Seasons of love

Love. That's how I want to measure this year. I don't want 2011 to be marked only by the passing of time, but by the trading of each precious moment God gives me for something valuable. I want this to be a year God can use me to share hope and faith with the people around me. I pray He will show me how to love more deeply, and be more like Jesus in all my relationships. I pray this year will truly be a Season of Love. That's my prayer for you, too. Let me leave you with a prayer, and a link to this song, if you're interested. Happy New Year!

Father, teach me to number my days, the hours and minutes, too. Help me to be more like You in 2011, sharing Your love and grace with the people who cross my path. Help me to trade the 525,600 minutes you give me for something of value. In Jesus Name, Amen.



No comments: